Re: Intel Compute Stick

with all the extras though, now including a mini HDMI to standard cable with rp4, along with heatsyncs, a case, good sized fast SD card which will still never be as fast as a spinning HDD as far as I know, power supply ETC.  You'll also need to deal with some non standard parts in a niche market full of startups, so you may get backed against a wall for price and buying replacement parts in the future if it's needed may be a chore.
Port selection and external power is also limited, and certain things will always be out of your reach performance wise.  Not things you might be doing every day, but that the average user may still encounter now and then, like multiple tabs with a couple large documents open in another Window and the Screen Reader running, decompressing a large MP3 for basic trimming with an audio editor, converting a thirty minute video to a more compressed format while also doing other work, running an antivirus scan while still having good productivity, transfering a 15GB TV series from external HDD to SD card ETC.
Plus yeah, Linux, as far as I know there aren't really any screen readers for Linux that even come close to touching NVDA or JAWS in terms of features, not to mention the nearly monthly breaking and fixing of packages and dependencies, pouring through forums and documentation for answers to do things that would be considered basic on Windows or Mac, the incompatibility with many useful programs or having to use buggy/out of date Linux versions of those programs instead...
This also assumes that the OP is willing to put in the time to learn Linux and try out various distros to find one they like, if he isn't good with it already I mean.
And despite the noble efforts of many over the years, Switching to Linux for desktop work is still a huge hurtle for most people to jump over, even more so if they are blind.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and if your willing to compromise and keep with it I know it can be, but I feel like you could do a Mini ITX Windows PC with an unregistered or student copy of Windows and get significantly better performance, stability, and compatibility for maybe 50 bucks more and with allot less hassle.  I feel like making a true desktop replacement Raspberry Pi PC attempt is really something you would do as a hobby, over a few months, and probably give up on part way through like 70% of the Pi projects out there tongue
Sorry to be such a cynical bastard about this, and correct me if anything I said was wrong, but from all I've seen, the (just grab a raspberry Pi!) argument is a fallacy for 75% of cases, and you can bring that up to 95% for average users replacing their mainstream PC's with it.  I wish it was different, but I just don't want people getting lead down a time/money sink by false optimism because I've seen it happen many times before.