Re: Would you rather…

The bit about the danger from crime just being replaced with danger from government people was actually my argument as well, but the other person basically said that you would be safe as long as you minded your own business and didn't try to oppose them. The freedom wasn't as much having everyone more involved in the economy (although I agree that would decrease crime as more well-off people are less likely to commit crime than people who struggle more). It's basically just what is more important to us between freedom and safety. Not that they are necessarily mutually exclusive in reality, but there are several countries that I can think of that have one but not the other.
I actually don't agree we're heading in a direction where criticism of corporates or any other kind of authority will result in negative consequences, in fact it seems to me that we're going in the opposite direction where criticism in general is considered more acceptable and attempting to punish critics would draw a very strong reaction. This might not be true everywhere in the world though, just seems like the general trend from my perspective in my little corner of the planet.