Re: what are people playing these days?

Hi there,
Heh, may be I will get banned now, because this is actually a gaming forum, but seriously, @1: what about finding some other kind of entertainment?
There are so many things you can do in this world even as a blind. What about getting some musical instrument? My favorite is violin, they're so sophisticated... But it doesn't matter really at all, piano, guitar or accordion are very interesting as well. For just few tens of dollars, you can get years of fun.
Or you aren't a musical type? Although I personally think, that learning a musical instrument can only help to everyone including thatones with absolutely no musical skills, there are still many other activities to try out.
What about learning some foreign language? Although english is very popular in the world, there are still many informations which are not available in it plus you will get a great knowledge about your chosen country, its culture and people.
Or what about programming? You don't even need to stand up from your chair, everything is directly under your fingers. I guarantee you, that you can spend days just with getting image about current languages scene, months with learning and years with improving your skills. One plus when comparing to learning foreign languages here is, that you'll see results of your work almost immediately i.e. when you learn how to read from and write to the console, you can already make a game. Simple, but a game.
Or do you consider all of these too exhausting? Then what about trying chess for example? Don't worry if you aren't a genius who can sit for five hours behind the chessboard and think 10 moves forward all the time. A chess game can be as long as a week, but also a thing just for 15 minutes. It's here to teach its players patience, logical thinking and predicting, not to require them. I don't say other games don't do this as well, just the chess has a slight advantage in my eyes in fact, that it has a tactile board, which can a blind player touch and get its big part at once, instead of focusing just on one square at a time.
And beside all these benefits, it's also very funny even on beginner's level. There are even more interesting possibilities like Arimaa, but here you need at least basic sense for strategy and tactics imo. Although rules are simple enough, that a four years old kid can understand them, actual game is one of the most complex games in the world, and it's still explored just from a part.

All of these possibilities, and those are just few mentioned, will enhance your personality noticeably in some way, and the work spent on them will repay during your whole life.

I don't want to say by this, that games are bad. I find them great as well, especially pieces like Swamp, Tactical battle or Sound rts, although Sound rts had always very strange communication problems when I was playing it, like I received a message about action performed 10 minutes ago. But it was playable and except this, it's an amazing game.

I was just reacting to your statement, that you're dying from boredom. I think that games should be just a part of relax, supplementing to other activities, like those mentioned above, and not the whole time killer.

That's at least my opinion. Get it just as an idea. smile

Best regards

Rastislav

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sovs via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : SkyLord via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Ty via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Arkandias via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rastislav Kiss via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jaidon . vinnie_ware via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nuno69 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : katil2008 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mastodont via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : turtlepower17 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : stephBrown via Audiogames-reflector