Keeping Track of a game's storyline/objectivs

I've been looking around the internet (as well as around my own brain) for quite some time now in an effort to figure out a solution for the problem I'm facing. In short, I'm trying to figure out an efficient way to keep track of a game's objectives/goals in a story-based game. In a game with a map that the player can freely explore, for example, let's say that the game in its simplest form consists of the player completing objectives like traveling to various locations and talking to various npc's. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep track of what the player's current goal is and whether or not they've completed it. How should the game check to see if visiting a particular location should trigger a cut scene and advance the story or not. (without crowding the code relating to locations with a bunch of conditions checking for completion of game objectives) IN other words, I'm looking for some kind of design pattern. I've considered a few different solutions, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here. Hopefully the question I have is clear enough.