Re: Create a game map?

@4/5, really? Could you explain a bit as to why post 2's approach wouldn't be that good? I am asking because I can't picture having multiple tile sets in a 2d array, not unless I want to do something like this:
if map[player.x][player.y] == -1: #wall logic should go here
Now, how do I determine what wall sound to play?
Or something like this
if map[player.x][player.y] == 0: #Wood tile play sound
if map[player.x][player.y] == 1: #Ash tile play sound.
With post 2's approach I would be able to tell what sound to play by checking the tile type, how would you two go about implementing multiple tiles in a 2D array, though?