Re: Thinking about A blind legend and guiding in games

As I said, the slapping would've bothered me less if say Edward had sounded more afraid and maybe apologised, as I once said in a review, just because we happen to have a medeival world where a man beating his wife or daughter is quite okay, doesn't necessarily mean all decent men will do so automatically, and even if they do there needs to be an in character reason given for it or otherwise they'd just end up feeling like a douchebag.

I certainly had no problem with the king slapping Caroline, because that's just something villains do, and I actually liked all the taunts about blindness (the bit where the guard was saying "I'm over here, you got me" both made me laugh and felt disturbingly believable).

My problem was more that if your main character is supposed  be a super awesome blind knight who slays his way through god knows how many inept hechmen, why does he have to be so bloody blind!

If your main character is some old blind beggar with no skills whose entirely reliant on their family, then fair enough.

Actually now I think about it, that would be a pretty awesome premise for a game, instead of trying to write an awesome blind character, write a bloody useless blind character then have them become awesome over time, EG start by having them always lead around by other characters in scenes when the player couldn't interact with anything, then have them follow characters with blatant "come over here" type mechanics, then a bit later give them more sound sources and perhaps some plot related audio beacons.