securing API data

So I was curious to see how creative everyone would get with this problem.
In every API call, you have a ID, a secret, and an access token, (most of the time).
Now, if we're talking about python here, how would one go about securing the ID and secret safely?
After all, if you put it in myprogram.py, anyone can just open it up and get it.
Similarly, if you cythonise it, anyone can just do something like:
import yourprogram
print(yourprogram.api_call_client_id)

So, is it simply a case of trying to obscure it?
Make your api call variables look like innocent variables, like x? and then cythonising?
or is there a better way to go about this