Re: The problem of choosing the first programming language

Since we're talking mostly potential for employment here, these are the languages I use most often in the real world:
Node: Getting started is simply a matter of of installing NodeJS with the Express package and you have a fully functional, production-ready web server. We use this so we don't have to tinker with things like Apache whose setup is sometimes a specialization in itself. Time is money, and managers don't care that it's taking a while to set up Apache because you want to do it correctly. Their only question is: when can we see something? Also, because it uses _javascript_, your front-end developers can switch to back-end development rather quickly. Just yesterday I challenged a coworker to write an endpoint in the back-end using Node. They were fearful, but ended up having their first endpoint ready in a matter of half an hour. Now they're one of my fellow back-end developers.
Java: With its Springboot framework allows fast back-end setup.
C++: If one was ever inclined to develop a block chain as we have done because of its low-level functionality and native compilation. Also for the granular control it offers the developer from strict memory management if one chooses, to its move semantics if one chooses to employ them.
Python: For AI, using APIs like Tensorflow. Also for its wide use on microdevices such as Pi.