Re: Create a game map?

I'm bringing this up because I do want to try an array and compare it to my system.
I figured out how to create a numpy 3d array, use the zero's function with x, y, and z dimentions. Here's the problem:

import numpy as np
lst = np.zeros((5000, 5000, 5000))
ValueError: array is too big; `arr.size * arr.dtype.itemsize` is larger than the maximum possible size.

This is, without a doubt, a huge array. It is also something that I may not need. However, an array of 1000 of each entry is also something that numpy hates, and I could definately see myself reaching 1k tile size.
However, my solution, to loop through tiles, is also really slow (5000 * 5000 * 5000 or 1000 * 1000 * 1000) entries to loop through? No thanks. Ideas/tips?
Edit:
Even 200 * 200 * 200 lags like a bitch when I loop through tiles. Yeah no, I will try and switch away from my systemas soon as possible.