raspberry pi and port forwarding

I am a raspberry pi that I am using for an internet relay for amateur radio. Anyway, I do not always have the pi on a network that UPNP would work nor where I could set the router up to port forward. Matter of fact, when the Pi is connected to my IPhone (when my IPhone is an hotspot) I do not have that option at all. I asked in a facebook group and I am double checking here on how best take care of the problem. It is not out going ports that I have a problem with. It is in coming ports when an attempt is made to connect to the pi over the internet. This is mainly a problem when someone wishes to rout their signal over the net to my pi so that it can be transmitted at my location. To throw another twist in the mixx, what ever I do, I must be able to still SSH into the Pi via the local network if I wish. As a side note, if I have to pay extra, then chances are extra low that I will take that rout.