Re: anyone up for watching and downloading anime?

Thank you for explaining that, Juan. I appreciate that.

I see where you're coming from, and I respect some of the points you're making. But that's unfortunately where we'll have to stop agreeing.

First off, if you give people one legal and one nonlegal way to download material, they'll probably jump to the illegal one. We aren't going to host such links or tolerate ways to get those links here. That ship sailed awhile ago. It's over. It's done. My advice is to let it go. If you want to share legal means of sharing anime and other content, go right ahead. We encourage that. If you want to pirate that material, please don't do it here. No matter how nicely you word it, you still would prefer the freedom to engage in piracy on this forum, and that's not going to happen. Engage it in your own way, on your own time, outside of this forum, please. I'm not going to lecture you on what you do or don't do outside this forum, but within it, you've agreed to follow the rules, so please respect those rules.

Second point: to the previous system and the mods who often let copyrighted material hang. The biggest issue was that we as a community were okay with virtually any copyrighted material so long as it wasn't an audio game. Why the heck does that even make any sense? Why do audiogame creators get protection while music, book, manga, anime, movie, TV and the like have open season on them? And please, please don't use the money-scale argument where you say that it's okay because these people make millions; that's outside the scope of this discussion. If it's ethically questionable to pirate an audiogame, it's equally ethically questionable to do likewise to an anime, an audiobook, an album, a movie, etc. You're still taking for free what you should be paying for. We cracked down because we decided it was better to be safe than sorry, and better to not have exceptions all over the place. X material is safe to crack/pirate/steal, y is not. No thanks. It's better to just put a blanket ban on all of it and ask you not to do it here.

Now, last but not least, to the hypocrite comment. If you dig back about a year (site and forum feedback will be a good place for this)  you will see examples of how things have gone on. When I came around as a mod, I was very firm and brooked no nonsense, and people saw me as a tyrant. Liam helped me out a bit there, and I've since grown a bit gentler in my approach (most of the time anyway). We had some other new members come around who have also been doing a great job. If you want a microcosm of what I'm talking about though, check out the topic where Sam says he's leaving; in it, a bunch of people are saying that rulebreakers and people who are dancing around the rules should be cracked down on. And when we published an update saying we were going to do that (we'd been tossing it around list for weeks by that point) one of the very first posts was like "whoa, this is harsh", basically. I stated that I was certain someone would call us out no matter what I did, and I was right, even if in this case it didn't get crazy-big or anything. The point is, if we have a stance, there always seems to be somebody who wants to cry foul. They complain when we're too lax, and then complain when we get strict. They complain that there are hypocritical exceptions being made for certain copyrighted material, then howl when we blanket-ban it entirely. We just can't win sometimes. We have definitely had users point out the hypocritical nature of the former stance on piracy, and that's one of the reasons we fixed it. It gets tiring to be criticized, let me tell you.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : UltimateBlade via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : juan reina via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : juan reina via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Liam via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : juan reina via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : juan reina via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : sid512 via Audiogames-reflector