Re: Am I really capable of being a computer science major?

Hi,
I earned a CS degree after a long, hard-fought battle with accessibility. Every term will be a new challenge for you. You might even have to threaten to sue your university if it comes down to it. This is what I had to do and you'd be surprised how quickly things move after that.

CS is by no means a blind-friendly major to get into, but it can definitely be done. It requires persistence and an uncanny ability to move ahead despite roadblocks and an unwillingness to accept "no" as an answer.

You can talk to your state services to make some material accessible, but when I did this they just shipped off complex CS diagrams to a donation-funded Brailling center that produced the whole text except for the diagrams (which, incidentally, was the most important and inaccessible part...)

If your state services does this, talk to your university's disability department instead. Typically, universities are better positioned to assist in this matter. My material was Brailled through Braille Plus once I threatened to sue them for lack of access.

I can say with 100% confidence I would not have been able to pass upper level courses without the Braille material. It's absolutely critical to your success. As blind people we're used to visualizing things and keeping track of things in our heads, but upper level CS courses get so complex you'll become overwhelmed.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Thatguy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Thatguy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : flameAlchemist via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector