Sound Libraries in python

Hello,
I've been asking around on the audio game developer's email list, but I've not really found any quality sound libraries for python.
I'm using pygame in my programming, but I'm having the problem in pygame that:
1. the sound has a major delay (500ths of a second, but that's a lot!)
2. the panning is crude and rudimentary at best. I only have the tuple (0.5, 0.5) for a sound in front of me and that is it. No pitch change, no xyz coords, no Doppler effect or anything but that lovely (0.5, 0.5).

PyAl, the python wrapper for OpenAl seems like it has the most potential, but it requires knowledge of C++ that I don't quite have yet in order to do checks on if a sound is playing or not and there is no "play_to_end" function.
There is also no "supported" way to open .ogg files or stream audio files.

PySonic made me the most excited, but then I looked at the website and the last update was 2005 . This is a huge bummer now FMOD is free for games under $100000. (If anyone wants to make a wrapper for the FMOD API...)

PyMedia seemed perfect, until I started reading through the documentation and couldn't find any clear audio panning and I realized it was more an audio player api, not a sound library.

audiere erm, I couldn't figure it out. The documentation was not in python and I couldn't even find the correct python package installer. It looks like a C++ person wanted to be accessible to python users and expected us to understand what to do with a pyd file...

pydub looks cool, but again, it seems like another pymedia. No panning and very little documentation.

sound_lib is probably the best out there. It is a wrapper for the bass library, so costs if sold. The documentation on sound_lib is nil, so thanks to one of the other developers on the developer's list, I was able to implement it into the game I'm currently making. I'm just not happy with it as if I wanted to sell any of my games I would need to pay and with no documentation, paying would not be worth it.

I am wondering if anyone has any hints with pygame to make it faster and or have algorithms that can simulate 3d audio with a 2d setup?
I would also like to know what libraries other people use (python or otherwise)?
Thanks,