Re: Manamon 2: Impressions Thread

I forgot to mention, you can also get a free puppy in a house in the swamp. It's great. Who doesn't love puppies?
Don't know how it is as a manamon, never really tried using it.
As for my final team, they were all around level 50 at the time of the master statium battle.
Honestly, it was still five manamon at the time. The electric dragon thing you can catch in the prairie just didn't pan out. It was pretty underwelming. It fainted against the first fighting guy's manamon without doing anything of note and I didn't bother reviving it. Did just fine.
Fulmina's now chilling out in my retirement box.
The newest member of my team is the camera thing you get from Kent. It's surprisingly awesome, even if its stats don't look the prettiest on paper, magic damage is pretty scary against a good number of things, some of which the rest of my party isn't so well equipped to handle, and it gets both physical and special stuff, with the balance to make use of each.
The capstone for this fellow--named Marvin--is conjure sword, which is an 85 physical move that's both steel and magic.
Given the camera is both steel and magic, the double STAB is pretty ridiculous.
Still, I fear he won't do so good in a real meta fight. He's a little squishy on the hp, and not the fastest. Smoke and mirrors might give him a little more survivability, and the steel typing is nice because shadow is honestly probably  one of the strongest types in manamon.
All in all, 6/10.
Next is my true and faithful lamp ghost, called Hope. Absolutely terrifying special attack, decent speed, but otherwise a little fragile, magic lights has surprisingly all right accuracy. But sometimes there's no time for that, and that's fine, because this thing gets torch, which is a 95 power special attack with no drawbacks, and eclipse rocket, which is a base 100 special attack which can do two of the scariest damage types in the game, and another with STAB. It's at random, but if you're using it over beyond bolt, then it's because you're okay with the 2 or 3 out of 3 chances to hit for unmodded or super effective damage.
7/10, or 9/10 with bonus points for the theme. What can I say, I'm a little biased.
The complete opposite is sirenea. Same one you get from the Sangora storyline. Took a life tonic to make useful, but....it's pretty useful, for the type coverage, if nothing else.
But there's a little else. There's psycho trick for the surprise coverage, and the occasional added bonus status. Unfortunately, a lot of these status moves seemed to have been nerfed in manamon 2, or I've just been dumb unlucky. I've never seen psycho trick inflict anything at all, and dragon heart, which is pretty similar but dragon so objectively lamer, maybe once or twice. Shadow sphere is probably the best special shadow attack without worrying about recoil or stat loss or anything--in fact, it actually has a chance to raise special attack. Fantastic, because while sirenea has monstrous special attack, it also has crazy speed. Unless what you're up against is specifically engineered to be dumb fast above everything else it can out-speed them and, with a little luck, sweep with even deadlier shadow spheres, with which it gets stab bonus. It gets storm rush at level 50something, but honestly, I'd just stick with flood. Storm rush is 120 power, sure, but it has a charge time, and it can miss. Flood is 85 power and can't ever miss. Sing is just icing on the cake. If there's something sirenea can't sweep, sing, set up with downpour and wreck shop with an unmissable 85 power special move boosted by a bunch from the weather. Or I mean just switch out, that's fine too.
Honestly this is probably one of the strongest in the team. 8/10.
Arachnite was kind of shitty as his unevolved form, but it is so so worth the wait.
Fire and earth is a really great typing, especially with the gravity magnet.
Fire and earth is great, but boiling earth, a fire and earth time move on and fire earth type manamon with stupid strength and speed is even better. Then there's the fact it also gets toxic tail, a poison move for surprise coverage, terramagma which is amazing against incredibly fast manamon which it has the hp and defenses to tank at least a little. And if that isn't enough, it gets earth tornado, deadly even if you didn't invest too much in arachnite's special attack.
If anything rivals sirenea's position for strongest in the team it's this guy. 8 or 9/10, or 10/10 with bonus points for theme.
There's another ghost type in my team which is probably my least favorite. Gargarrum has pretty average-ish stats all around, but weirdly, its speed seems to be actually fairly above average-ish. The typing is not the greatest because there's a lot of stuff that will destroy a stone/ghost type, but there are a few things that it's got going for it.
The most obvious is wraith's curse. This move is simply wtf on a hamburger with a side of rek. 130 special attack...even with the recoil, it's so worth it.
Shadow sphere is great for extra coverage, and beyond bolt is a more standard ghost move for when you need it to last longer.
But if you don't that's fine. it learns dead man's curse, so you can go out with a middle finger aimed in their general direction.
Sadly, it gets no special rock moves, but even without investing in strength, rock slide does the job all right.
probably 5/10 or 6/10. I like the Dr. Who reference.
And of course symphonid, my buddy Dirge. Bug/sound is a little fragile, but it's okay fast and has high special attack. Feedback sound has a chance to confuse, but really, if that's the goal, there are better moves to do it with because it's only 50 base power. Sonic missile is 60, but never misses, so that's kind of cool if some jerk bag decides to throw mud balls at your face. Sticky web is actually kind of nice. Maybe not so much in the game, but in meta context, it looks like a pretty deadly way to limit a lot of people who like using strong physical moves with recoil. Taking 80% of the damage you deal is pretty rough, and suddenly the fragile looking music spider looks like a bed of shattered glass.
Plague is probably the best special bug move, with 95 base power and a chance to confuse? I've never seen it happen but it's in the description I think.
And of course attack concerto. It's a sound move unique to their line, as far as I'm aware. The base 120 is mitigated by the drop in special attack and defense. I tend to use this guy on...strafe runs a lot. Switch in on an opponent's switch in, hit them with a web or a concerto or whatever, then switch away.
7/10, or 10/10 for theme. I love the idea of musical webs, and found its roll in those puzzles very clever and creative.
Also in my retirement box are fracta, which is the little magic box panderbat ripoff. It seems to get better as its evolved thing but...I don't know, I just didn't enjoy using it. Zapiston: it's all right, being a shadow type, but I've never been a fan of electric types. I think I did the first two or three gyms with him around, though. Also Grim, a marlhaunt. Pure ghost type, with good physical attack and the moves to back it up. Elemental assault is particularly nice and it learns it fairly early. Still, it's pure ghost, and it doesn't learn a lot of moves that are interesting or useful outside of ghost type moves. I think it gets spirit force later on? Also ghost type, physical, with all right power. It's okay, 5/10, just make sure you have really good coverage in the rest of your time. I already had two ghost types when I thought about picking him up, so ran with him for a little while, then dropped him for Hope later.
And that's it, I think. Thanks for reading my manamon advertisements, lol.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Jason SW via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Rubyel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Hijacker via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Soul Keeper via Audiogames-reflector