Re: Brain or mind, let them shine: a challenge of creativity

@Mata, glad you liked the story. I'm currently trying to write short stories with a view to publishing professionally, so this is a nice brain exercise for me.
regards the head of R&D's confusion about Kelso's gender, its not actually her gender he's confused about, its just what honourific to use, IE whether to call her "sir" or not.

In the past, most top executives would be men, and so women in those sorts of positions would be regarded as exceptions, and likely their colleagues and immediate underlings would not be sure how to treat them (remember, we're never told the age of the head of R&D).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean about "the relationship between her and that guy"

In this context, the head of R&D is her employee who she views as simply a resource who should be doing his job properly, whilst Philip Stockton is a man she doesn't know as anything beyond an old court case, even though her company ruined his life, that is quite deliberate, she views him, as she views most everyone as just a resource to be exploited, and so brought her own downfall on herself.

Yes, her  beliefs absolutely come from her father and the way she was brought up, she's lived a very privileged life, although like many rich and privileged people she obviously believes she fully deserves everything she gets and scawns anyone  is outside her little corporate world, that was one reason it was nice to see her get what she actually deserves for being such a total bitch.

As regards Philip Stockton's medical care, I thought I'd left enough indication in the story that he'd got a serious life threatening illness, and one that was then used to take the very last thing he had, his imagination from him.

I will freely admit, the story isn't  exactly free of political biases, or at least of my own beliefs of some of the unpleasant ways corporate culture treats people and their creative ideas, sort of what Bradberry feared an oppressive government might do in Fahrenheit 451, not that I'm ray bradberry of course big_smile.