Re: Linux discussion, tips and hints

I'll take this back on track thanks. Now....to answer your Mate questions.

How do I....?

Navigate?

Here's a cheat sheet.

1. Windows (Super) key is your friend. Hit it, it'll open a menu a la Start men

2. Orca's learn mode is useful, but 99% of the keys are the same as other screenreaders. For instance. H goes to next heading, B for button, and so on. One thing to note is Orca wraps around to the top of the page again.

. Since I didn't get back to debunking this in the original topic. I use Mate every single day. I don't 'need a manual' for every little thing, I don't use the terminal for everything. I can, for instance, copy, paste, rename files, create folders, and do everything I need to on the Mate desktop.

4. For  amore Windows-esque experience, you will need a terminal a moment.

Type the following in and hit enter

mate-panel --reset --layout redmond

What does this do? It puts the main panel (think task bar) at the bottom of the screen. It changes the Super menu to be more Start menu like.

The key takeaway is this: Linux is as simple or as complex as you want. Just because I'm somebody who is comfortable editing files and doing advanced tricks does /not/ mean everyone will be. Nor should everyone be forced down one Linux path.
Let's take updates for example. There's a lot of ways to update. Through the built in update manager from the desktop, through the terminal, through the notifications that come up saying 'Hey, you need to install these updates'

You pick what you want to do with that. Take that and apply it to everything Linux based.

Stick with Ubuntu Mate, learn it, learn how Ubuntu as a distro works. But....remember this. Learn at your own pace and don't be afraid to ask for help either.