Re: usable hardware recorders for music

Hi.
Well it depends on the money you want and accessibility.
All the olympus recorders the dm and ls series should be accessible for the most part.
However being the top dog you will be paying for them.
Atguys.com has the microspeak which may help you some to.
If you want to be more mainstream, I have used soni px, and ux recorders.
There are beeps for a lot of functions, back a track, forward a track, end of recording folder, start of recording folder, the play button is dotted and marked.
On my px 335 the play button has a dot the recording button has a dimple in it and it is to that point accessible.
But thats where it stops.
They do not speak, you can't do anything in the menus.
To clear the recorders fully you need to reformat each time after use.
You can't switch folder and your filenames will always be z0000000000000 then a file number 000000-0-00000001 to 000000000099.mp3
Then you can't record anymore.
You will have to manually rename files.
The modern software to handle the recordings is not accessible at all!
Also if you do have a mixing board and things you are better suited to recording via a computer to be honest unless its a field recording.
You can try if you want to use your phone to record your stuff but again its not going to sound that flash.
Still artests like tayler swift have recorded demos of tracks either outputting via laptop speakers and or a phone, so it can be done.
Its probably better to link up via a workstation or computer and record your synths or via a dedicated machine.
But it depends what you want to use to record.
Is this for yourself, for release or just for the sheer heck of doing so.
If its just for the reason because its there and well why the fuck not, if you can get them, I'd start with a casette recorder and casettes.
This was how I started recording back in the early 90s.
Now, carrying round a walkman in extreme heat on the rist with the fact even on 60 minute tapes liable to jam at the drop of the hat with batteries that could drop out due to loose covers were not ideal but one of my first australian trips was recorded via an analog tape deck.
My first machine in 2000 was a soni icd sx 35.
The software was accessible but didn't work on anything over xp.
The sx used its own format, and everything was fine till the 45 sx, the sx was fully accessible with switches, rockers, buttons and toggles.
Even the delete button was recessed.
Its downside was it recorded poor audio with really bad sounding digital wma type signals.
It had 32mb memmory and in extreme heat it was liable to overheat to the point it didn't record much at all!
It used a special format needing decoding.
After 2 australian trips one in 2004 and the other in 12005 the unit overheated, and basically refused to record or work at all eventually ending with the batteries melting in the case.
By then though I was seriously thinking of replacing it.
My next recorder was the ux 60, a flatter version of the sx with toggles, a control stick, and widely spaced microphones.
It did not overheat in extreme heat, however even though it was 500mb of space, the unit had no usb cord and needed to be directly plugged into the pc or an extention.
Recording was ok.
The latest unit I got in 2014 is the px335, I got it so I didn't have to connect it to the computer all the time.
It has served me well enough.
My next recorder if I ever upgrade will probably be a microspeak mainly because of price.
After that, if it warrents it an olympus dm series or maybe zoon not sure.