Can anyone help me with SMC Fan Control for my mac?

Hi.

I was told about an application for Mac OS X that would allow you to set your fan speed.
Whenever I install it and run it, I do not see it in the status bar. VOiceOver acts like the icon for the application is not there at all.
Why is this? I've tried restarting my mac, force quitting the application with activity monitor and restarting it, but nothing works.
So, can someone tell me how to make this application work?
I'm using the 2013 Macbook Air if that helps.