Re: Voice-Powered Games Question

Hi BaldSavant.
In most cases, blind people does not use voice commands to interact with technoligy if there are other options available. Why? Because of the same reason for you with normal sight. On the pc: Would you use the build in voice recognition in Windows 10 to interact with your computer, when the mouse and keyboard is right in front of you? Are you using Siri or Google Assistance on your phone and are you dictating text messages instead of typing?
Regarding using voice commands in gaming:
I have some experience with games on Alexa, Google Assistance and a few mainstream games on consoles. I would never play a game with my voice if I'm traveling by train or buss. I would only play such game when I'm alone. I prefer to interact with games in other ways simply to make sure the game understand my command. English is not my main language, and because of that, the game sometimes misunderstand my commands, because you in some cases doesn't have to confirm the command.
You mention a few mainstream console commands which also offers voice commands. I have looked at End war. This game is not accessible to blind people at all. You need to see what happens on the screen, and react with voice commands based on what's going on. There is not enough audio or spoken feedback on what's going on for blind people to be able to play the game. So, said in an other way: Offering voice commands in a game does not make it accessible to blind people, if the gameplay itself isn't accessible.
I have also played a very old game for pf2 called Lifeline. This game is very interesting because it can only be played by voice commands. This game is playable if you are following a walkthrough. It is not accessible, because you, as a blind gamer, does not always get enough information by audio to know what's going on. Especially in battles. In the battles, if you don't know what kind of enemy you are phasing and you don't know what parts of the body the enemy have and what those parts are named, then you won't be able to defeat the enemy.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BaldSavant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BaldSavant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : BaldSavant via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : kool_turk via Audiogames-reflector