Why is assistive technology so expensive?

Hello all.
So for many of us, assistive devices such as the Braille Note can be very benefitial. There's only one problem. Here in the US, the base eighteen cell Braille Note Touch is almost $4000. I've heard that these products aren't in a high demand, but still. Most people can't say, "Okay Humanware. Here is $4000 for a Braille Note". And I'm not trying to start anything, but JAWS falls into this category. People don't have money to say, "Ok VFO. Here is another $1100 to read my screen, and I will pay you every year". Granted, there are agencies who help us purchase these, but not many people know about this. You'd be surprised if you knew how many people in Florida alone don't know about the Division of Blind Services. If they do, they choose not to use them. That's there choice, but still