Re: Encryption Protocol for Game Network Traffic

@3-4, I understand now. Thanks for that extensive response! I know that monocipher has been professionally audited, which is why I recommend it. Yes, you'd be using XChaCha20, but if you stick to the high-level interface and not the really low level ones, you shouldn't have to worry about that too much.
As for the difference of 16 vs. 40 byte overheads, personally I think this is a nitpicking concern, especially since games are usually hosted on servers with a ton of bandwidth. An alternative you could do to minimize packet size, while using monocypher, is to use compression (though I've heard varying responses with compression, from "do't use compression" to "use compression").