Re: Behind the Curve on iPhone and Seeking Experience

One thing I find annoying about the iPhone 8 is that it has 2 speakers instead of one.
Not sure when they changed that, but I had an iPhone 4S before it, which only had one speaker near the mouthpiece.
The problem is that when voice over is enabled and you are on a phone call, it automatically switches between producing quiet audio in the earpiece, or loudly booming audio through both speakers, based on whether its proximity sensor thinks your head is next to the phone or not.
One of the speakers is in the earpiece, which means that if the proximity sensor or software ever make the wrong decision and choose to boom through the speakers while your ear is held next to the earpiece, you will feel like smacking an Apple employee for the damage their poor sensor or software may be doing to your hearing.
I've had that happen a few times. Argh!
Now I try to keep the speaker volume low, so that if it happens at least it is not quite as loud.
You could also turn off voice over when on a phone call, because then it does not switch automatically, but I don't really want to turn off voice over every time I get on a phone call, and then turn it back on every time I am getting off a phone call.

I also like the 3D touch on the iPhone 8, though it is not used nearly as much as it could have been.
Specifically I think it is really cool to dial phone numbers just by pressing harder on the number after I find it by exploring with my finger.
It would have been really cool if they had also supported it for the on screen keyboard, but they did not.
You can use it to switch tabs in some apps, or to press buttons.
Using it on apps in the home screen brings up a shortcut menu, which I didn't care for.
I liked it most when it was just an alternative to the one finger double tap or second finger tap.
They ditched 3D touch in iPhone 11, and it probably won't come back again. sad