Re: Screen Reader Support in Audio Games

The biggest issue for me is that SAPI cannot be interrupted while a screen reader can. For example, playing a game like Entombed is ridiculous with SAPI, because I have to sit and wait until it's done reading everything. However, I assume speech interrupt for SAPI can be added to a program? I know Perilous Hearts does this, but all other games and programs I've used that utilize SAPI don't, so I can only conclude it's laziness or lack of knowledge on the part of the developer.

What exactly is OneCore? My understanding is that it's a completely different speech synthesizer that's not at all related to SAPI. It would be interesting to see this implemented into games going forward, provided the speech could be interrupted at any time.

I have to agree about the timing issues with screen readers. I don't find it an issue most of the time, but I definitely understand the problems you can run into. I wonder how NVDA's new speech system will help this? Are they coding a way to detect when the synthesizer stops speaking and convey this information to the controller client and your program?

I like the idea of different speech channels for different pieces of information. A Hero's Call does this well, so it would be interesting to see where this could go in future projects. My only complaint about screen reader support right now is that literally any keystroke will silence speech, which can be annoying in some situations. However, it's also a blessing for the speech interrupt reasons I discussed above. Would it be possible to implement SAPI, OneCore, and the screen reader in one project? Then you could have different synthesizers speaking different pieces of information.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pitermach via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector