Re: Please advise me on my situation.

@Dark
I verry much see where you are coming from, however I must disagree.
I am only speaking from experience. All 3 times I've used this within the last couple of years, people have later told me, that they were glad that I did it. The trick is, to keep it simple cassual and down to earth, exactly to avoid the problem of isolating yourself. Also focusing a lot more on similarities, for example telling people, that you, as many sighted people do, work out, play computer games etc. This way, you loosen up an otherwise awkward situation where your fellow students don't know if they can ask you questions and about what. I have also had some luck, showing my fellow students NVDA and my braille display, to again make them understand, that while I might be doing things a bit different, I am still able to follow along in class and so on.
In my experience, not telling people is the worst thing you can do, and I've actually tried it. I began at a new school, and only a handful of people knew that I was blind. Not many people talked to me that day, simply because they didn't know. I was the weird guy, that didn't make eye contact, and for the most part sad alone or was with an adult. As soon as I introduced myself, explained a little bit about my situation, and told them, that it really wasn't that dangerous to talk to me, people began talking to me and it amazed me how naturally they went about it.
People are not assholes, but they might be uninformed, misinformed or simply scared to do anything wrong, and that is why I as well as many of m friends prefer to present ourselves to new people in this way.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : omer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Mads via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : targor via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector