Re: Discussion about movement in mainstream games

See that bit about having limited access to the y is what I'm referring to when I talk about games like streets of rage being 2.5d, and I have read numerous times of these beat em ups being referred to as such, else I wouldn't be making such a statement. I have also heard of 2d games with 3d graphics being referred to as 2.5d, though such occurrences are more rare so it slipped my mind. And I just asked my sighted brother about a game that allows you to jump into the background while being 2d, in particular fatal fury, and he immediately told me that's 2.5d.

I think that the reason we associate the movements with the perspectives is because they are often associated with those perspectives. Indeed there are games with a third person perspective that play like a first person game.