Some trouble getting started with Ubuntu

Recently I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition on my hard drive. I can now boot in and out with no problem. I did it this way for increased performance.
However, you can probably guess that I'm having a few problems.
1: Orca loves to not let me change settings. I change the rate of the voice and hit OK followed by escape, but it just says screen reader settings reloaded and does nothing useful.
2: Orca on the log on screen is super loud. Can I turn it down?
3: I want to here letters when I type, but I don't want to here keys like tab. Any way to make this work?

Also, if anyone has pre-configured settings to make it more like Windows and NVDA, I'd be thankful.
That said, I like the package manager and how easy it is to just grab something.
Thanks a lot!