Concept of three dimensions in a text game

Hello,
What do you think about presenting heights in a text, MUD-like environment?
What I currently have is a mountain. I enter the mountain from north, and I go up all-round from east to west. I have implemented a falling system in which the palyer falls off like they would do in a traditional game like NN3. I calculate the impact and stuff. But how should I implement some kind of camera to check if the drop would be safe or no? I don't ask for the code, just a general direction on what the players would want. Maybe this should be in the General Discussions?