The lies that blind schools tell you

Hi.
As a student who has attended a blind school for over seven years, I have heard them say a lot of things that I believe to be false. Some other people who attend the same school I go to have said they feel the same way. If you attend a blind school and notice some of these things, let me know. If you had a different experience, I'm interested in hearing it. I'm wondering how people feel about these things. So without further to do, let's get to it.
1. We want you to enjoy yourselves.
Really? Why do you force us to go to recreational activities in the dorm even if we don't want to?
I understand that we have to go to school. That's not what I'm saying. I'm talking about the fact that we have to go to things we may not necessarily want to go to after school hours. Shouldn't the time after we complete our classes and homework be for us to do what we want within reason?
So, if they really wanted us to enjoy ourselves, I'm sorry, but I don't feel like they do a very good job of letting us do that.
2. We want you to be independent.
Don't get me started on this. All I will say is this. If you want us to be so independent, why do you have staff following us around twenty-four hours a day, how can you say you want us to be independent? Now granted, I'm not saying they don't need staff. Having the staff there is good, but if you want to enforce independence, have them back off a little. Don't make a group of eighteen-year-olds wait for a staff to go to one of your stupid recreational activities.
3. Your education is the most important thing.
This is both true and a lie at the same time. Let me break it down.
Why is it true?
It's true because they offer tutoring services either before or after school.
Why is it false?
It's false because of two things. At my school, there are some people that don't have the best grades, and they still manage to stay in after school activities such as sports and the band. However, they tell you at the beginning of the year that if you're grades drop, they're letting you go. I almost never see that happen.
This next reason is only something I experienced, so this may very from place to place.
Last year, I was a part of what my school calls the Junior Apartment program. In this program, you make your own dinner, clean up the kitchen, that kind of stuff.
There were a couple days during that year where I needed to go to the after school Night Library program for help with some math homework, but my dorm staff told me that I had to cook dinner.
I'm sorry, but how can you sit there one minute and say, "Oh. Your education is the most important thing", and then when I go to get help for my education so I can pass school, you say no and tell me I have to make dinner?
I'm sorry, but that makes no sense to me