Has anybody tried home brewing?

If so, any tips or tricks? I've never done it. But I keep finding out about things that sound interesting, alcohol made with birch for instance, that I can't buy locally. I've thought about trying it off and on over the years, but there seems to be a lot of filtering and monitoring of things that seems like it might be pretty hard to do. Doesn't mean it isn't possible though, so I figure I'd ask if anybody's given it a shot..