Re: Doing a Scottish accent

That's what I've been saying all along. Do your best not to deliberately piss people off, but otherwise be who you are.
This whole point that accent is something you're raised with is absolutely true. Do you think that if you gave a three-day-old baby the ability to speak, it would somehow have an accent? No, it absolutely wouldn't. The reality is that people mimic the sounds they hear around them. This is how not only accent, but language works as well. Yes, okay, both language and accent can be a point of pride for people. I do understand this, at least to some extent. This is especially true if heritage is particularly important to a given demographic. But yeah, if that's what it takes to assume an identity you actually feel comfortable with, I'd say go for it.

I mean, what we don't have here is people bitching that someone's getting their hair dyed blonde and wearing contacts to change their eye colour, or makeup to change their eye shape and the appearance of their cheekbones. If you're upset by Haily adopting an accent that wasn't hers from birth, then why don't you object to everything she adopts?

The reality is actually staring you in the face, and you're probably not going to like it much. Ivan, I'm looking at you.
Sorry, my dude, but you failed the quiz. Every one of my questions was rhetorical, and ultimately has the same answer.
The reason it matters is because it...doesn't matter.
Put another way, the reason that it matters is because you say it does. And the reason you say it does is because someone is daring to step out of the tidy little box that society put them in. Oh, the horror! How dare they! And the reason that's an issue is probably because you've been conditioned to think that sheeple who do something that the other sheeple don't do are bad in some way. It's worth objecting to. It's worth flagging. It's worth calling out, because it represents freedom from convention, a desire to buck the status quo. Do you perhaps resent your own unwillingness or inability to get out of situations you don't like? If so, stop projecting. Do you just assume different = bad? If so, stop assuming.
The long and short is that it's really, truly, 100% none of your business. Or my business. Or anybody else's business.
Haily didn't come here asking if it was okay for her to do a Scottish accent. She didn't come here looking for anyone's approval. She needs neither permission nor approval, and you know what she really -doesn't need? People coming in and spouting the same "be who you are" crap without a good reason. She came here looking for resources. Cautioning her to be aware that she might hurt feelings or come across as a poser is fine; those are unfortunately very real possibilities. But anything beyond that is just a bad idea.

Sorry/not sorry, Ivan. The next time you want to flag something as a problem, enough that you want to criticize someone for it or suggest an alternative form of action, check your bias at the door, please. Because right now it's all you're showing here.