Re: Blindness and Schizophrenia

SirBadger, the issue is that we're talking about the totally blind here, people who have never experienced visual processing.

Daigonite, I hear what you're saying, but I'm not 100% convinced. You seem to be tending toward nurture over nature (i.e., bad thoughts and bad social situations make the brain screw with chemical makeup and so the disease is diagnosed inside out). I'm not saying you're flat wrong, but I don't think you're dead right either. I think there are still very good arguments on both sides. I mean, people who seem relatively well-adjusted can suddenly and almost inextricably end up in psychosis, so why would that be? I've no doubt that what you say regarding socialization and isolation has a lot of truth to it though. This sort of thing absolutely can and does make mental health worse. I am not, and never was, trying to reduce schizophrenia to something to be medicated and forgotten about, or to be hand-waved. But I think we turn it into a purely social disease at our peril. I think, in truth, that the social and chemical aspects work hand in hand, and can feed off of each other (i.e., if you start having symptoms, you may self-isolate and make things worse).

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : SirBadger via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : daigonite via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bashue via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bashue via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bashue via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : bashue via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector