Navigating the dreaded line

Hi folks,

One of the more annoying parts about going out (at least, for me) is dealing with lines at restaurants, coffee shops, etc.
How do you all handle this? How do you know when the line moves? Is this easier with a guide dog or cane? I imagine the person in front of you wouldn't appreciate getting tapped every couple of seconds, even if it's for your convenience.
I find myself reluctant to go places for this reason. It's one of the small yet impactful discouragements I face.