Re: Just how ridiculous is this audio recording set up?

Yep that's it. To ellaborate further, put one device on the left of a table and the other device on the right side of the table. They'll both capture similar sounds but the signals will be slightly different. Pan the left device to the left and the right device to the right and you'll get nice stereo sound. As I said though, you have to sync them exactly and watch out for drift. Otherwise the channels won't be corelated i.e. stuff that's supposed to be in the center won't be because of delay between the channels.

I myself don't have the aforementioned IPod and IPad, but any mono mics will work so if there's enough interest I'll make a demo of what it might sound like.