Re: Gauging interest in another 3d audio project

@19
Along those lines, yes.

@21
You have to equalize the MIT dataset unless you use the diffuse field equalized ones they provided, and their equalization isn't very good.  The most basic way is to take the average of the power spectrum--the magnitude response squared--and divide out by that, but that's what they did and it's meh.  One of the things I don't like about the MIT dataset is that they're kinda blase about their methodology.  Good to know Cipic is worthwhile; I've considered going that route but their data is kinda in a weird format and undocumented.  I may have a question for you regarding their coordinate system at some point; their papers are completely inaccessible.

@22/23
It wouldn't be graph based, no.  I'm thinking parallel(synth generators)->source->(serial number of effects)->(split to HRTF panner bank/global effects).  This gives at least a factor of 2 increased performance on top of Libaudioverse, enough that fiddling with multithreading work schedulers shouldn't be necessary, possibly much more than a factor of 2 if SIMD counts for as much as I think.  That's on top of the factor of 2 or 3 from shortening/preprocessing the impulse responses.  You can get much higher performance with less than half the code--MVP of this thing is probably 2000 lines at most, Libaudioverse is around 15k and unfinished.

SteamAudio might be good.  I think they're Ambisonics though.  A lot of the Ambisonics stuff turns into simulating 12-16 speakers, not full HRTF.  Full HRTF from ambisonics would be the holy grail, but no one has done that and talked about how to do it at the same time.

Issue with WebAudio is that if you want to change how fast the footstep is playing, you need to change the length of that silence.  Other issue with WebAudio is that to do anything interesting with custom nodes, you have to make 2 or 3 copies of large audio assets.  By the time I was copying out of a buffer into an ArrayBuffer, truncating/extending it,then converting it back to a buffer I was sad inside, and that stops before we talk about the part where I want to be able to yank audio out of the middle of assets so that you don't have to open reaper every time you want to grab a snippet from some long audio file you got out of freesound.org or whatever.  Also any decent custom effects for WebAudio have to be Rust/C++ and compiled to Webasm, and keep in mind that these sorts of copy the array manipulations have to happen at least in part on the UI thread.

That's not to say it doesn't beat BGT, because it does.  It just doesn't go as far as I want it to.

@24
I've given thought to surround sound, but surround sound is both easy from the aspect of there being tons and tons of things that'll work for it, and hard from my perspective in that I don't have a home theater or the space for one.

So: watch this space?  I've given thought to how to abstract this so that the panner is swappable, but it's in such an early stage that I have no idea what any of that looks like yet.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : NicklasMCHD via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Victorious via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : keithwipf1 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : philip_bennefall via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector