Re: Monthly chat February 2020

You know, for all the reading I've done in the past it really is kind of odd that I don't read many new titles anymore.  I don't think I've read a new book since roughly all of the twilight vampire teen stuff came out.  That's not to say I don't read  anymore, and that I haven't picked up a book that is new to me, simply that today's works of art don't seem to entice me.  I'm not exactly sure what happened or why that has discouraged my reading so drastically.  Today, most of the reading I do consists of research rather than pleasure, if I'm reading anything at all.  ON the occasion that I do pick something up for pleasure though, it's generally something I know I'm going to be hooked on, as was the case with the shadow children series not too, too long ago.
I can think of hundreds of titles I read from about 1995 until 2009 or 2010 or there abouts, and then reading kind of sort of somewhat took a backseat for me for a few reasons.
1.  If I start reading a good book, be it a new title or one I haven't read in awhile and have forgotten finer details about I have a ton of trouble putting it down.
2.  That includes falling asleep, which is not good as I already have trouble sleeping when I should.
3.  Far too many new authors make me mad with their predictability.
4.  Of those that are not, far too many of them are exceptionally flowery and take forever just to get a single point across, burying it in descriptions that border on the abstractly philosophical.  I feel like if I want to philosophize I can do so on my own time without having to read a book to do it.
And no, lest you think I'm some sort of hatemonger and whatnot, I do appreciate that today's authors are who they are and are pushing forth works for others to read.  Reading is absolutely important in the development of the mind.  I just can't get into much of what's being produced today, much like I can't really get into much of today's music.