Re: Some BK3 suggestions, and a rant.

Oh, I've beaten these levels before - note that on my current playthrough I'm now on 21-3, and I've beaten the game before - I'm just saying that I personally don't find this fun. Past a certain point, this isn't strategy, it's just infuriating. That's not difficult, either; it's just random impediments that are random.
Reputedly, Liam didn't like these levels too much either, thus the "god damn it Carla" drinking game. That's the impression I got, mind you; if Liam were to say that despite his frustrations he liked how Carla dies repeatedly and sometimes with very little warning, then that's fine.

Just being able to finish a level doesn't mean it's balanced properly, or is appropriately difficult or easy or whatnot. I mean, it's a neat idea, I think it's nice to have to protect her, keep her safe, all that jazz (you'll note, too, that I don't have nearly the same sort of problems with stages 15 and 16, and even stage 12 is mostly better now). I just do not like random rocks falling and squishing Carla, especially as they sometimes seem to fall in pairs. This can prove fatal far too quickly for you to be able to comfortably deal with.

Consistently difficult? How about stage 17 or, more accurately, stage 21? How about the bosses at the end of the game? How about Devil Guardian, especially on higher difficulties? What about the minidemon in stage 5? Perhaps these things all become a joke at much higher difficulty but somehow I doubt that.
Oh, and if Carla's bullets could hit you, that's pretty much game over. Especially on your first playthrough, it would be difficult to stay close to her, as she'd be spraying enemies with bullets and probably catching you in the crossfire way too often. And in later stages, her propensity for dropping rockets and trying to help you out would nuke you, as rockets move quite quickly and would be extremely difficult to react to. In stages 11 and 12, especially, this would make it extremely difficult to heal Carla, much less protect her, so yeah. Let's just say that if she was immune to rocks but also shot you with bullets if you were in the wrong spot, I would never h ave picked this game up if I knew about it, much less played it, beaten it and, apart from a few gripes, enjoyed it.

That's something else I want to come to here. I like this game. Most of the things in it are good, if sometimes a little too drawn-out or repetitive. It is probably the best pure side-scroller we've got, and if it's got a few flaws, I still break it out and play it from time to time because in a big-picture sense, I think it's totally worthwhile. My being annoyed with stage 11 and Carla not being immune to rocks is one thing I really don't like, but it's not a game-breaker. This topic is for observations and a rant, and I guess this was sort of mine. lol

But yeah. Speaking from the perspective of someone who can beat the game, has done it before and with some effort can do it again.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mechaSkyGuardian via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : haily_merry via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : RTT entertainment via Audiogames-reflector