Re: How do you cook on a flat-top stove?

@29
The thing about touching meat is more about being able to tell if it flipped or not and less about being able to tell if it's done.  That said, I can tell if it's done by texture, but that's more from lots and lots of practice and less from some easily sharable technique.

I'm not going to strongly suggest anyone go off and try my rather interesting touch really close to the hot things tricks but they work for me, and a little tiny brush with the tip of a finger is actually very different from an accidental brush with the hand.  That said gas is perhaps more dangerous.  The trick with being able to touch hot stuff is touching it very lightly and very quickly;  if you are at all heavy handed, yeah it'll get you.  Applying pressure or not is what seems to make all the difference.

Also, if it's hot enough to instantly burn you, it's probably hot enough to make your meat an unappetizing charred mess anyhow.  Your fingers are just pork that happen to be alive.  If you're doing something like a stir fry then being that hot is probably justified, but for something like hamburger I would say that the time to seriously burning your finger if you touch the skillet directly should at least be half a second or so.  That's probably what happened in your fish story.  I very rarely actually set my stove to high, and it's a weak stove.

I would also suggest bigger pots if dropping things in is an issue.  You can always go bigger without really affecting most recipes.

I'm not saying find the center of the pot using the heat, just that it's a good way to tell if you got the pot completely covering the burner.  If part of the burner is uncovered there's often a very noticeable hot spot off to one side.  It's not foolproof, but it's better than most things you're going to get once it's too hot to touch.

I do a lot with knives, but I've never been able to get on par with a sighted person, and a good food processor goes faster than a sighted person anyway.  Mandolines can also do potato chips at about a potato a minute, and slice carrots and stuff like you wouldn't believe.  Now if only I actually liked vegetables.

That pork recipe doesn't actually come out tasting very salty to me, but take that with a grain of salt because I like salty stuff.  it's kinda hard to describe what it's actually like other than very rich.

@30
The colander pots with inserts are something like $20 or $30 and (at least in the U.S.) can be found at most stores.  They're often called steamers I think.  I can pour boiling water into a strainer/etc in the sink if I want but it's just so much easier, especially given that my sink is very small and sucky.  It's good value for money because it can i.e. steam seafood, make tamales, do dim sum if you feel masochistic enough to be bothered folding them all, etc.