QWS not playing midi file correctly

I am having a strange problem with QWS. I load this midi file with a few tracks in it. Since it's from a video game, there's a soundfont that can play it correctly, so I use VirtualMIDISynth from CoolSoft. It sounds like the wrong patches are being used for each track, so I choose the first one and go into properties. If I arrow through the patches and then choose the patch it was set to again, it plays fine. However, if I press home and play it from the beginning it goes back to playing it using the wrong instruments. I have tried disabling midi clock but that does nothing. I know there are some system exclusive messages at the beginning of the file, so that might be the issue. Can anybody help?