Re: unity and accessibility

@13 I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. Yes, there's a learning curve, and yes it requires working in a way that we're not used to. But game engines let you engage with game development on a much higher level than can be done by stitching together several dozen packages and hoping that the whole works. I can quickly bring up a UI, add support for multiplayer networking, and push the result out to several platforms without much modification.

It isn't Unity, but I've been working on making the Godot engine accessible. Unfortunately the README's instructions won't fully work right now. You'd need to build godot-tts manually because I tried migrating to GitLab CI's native Windows build servers and the build failed. Worked fine on my GCloud-based Windows server, but that's a pain to maintain and I'd rather not. If anyone knows why this build might be failing, the build script and such are in the previously-linked repo.

But in any case, I've built most of an Asteroids-like shooter in Godot, and am adding the last bits of polish for an early release. That was fairly easy since it's open space. Next I'm working on procedurally-generated tilemaps, and am thinking of ways to make the map/level editor accessible. Again, it isn't Unity, but similar enough. This also paves the way for blind and sighted game developers to collaborate. Imagine if Flying Squirrel could actually *work* with blind developers to build a better combat system, instead of occasionally kicking out a demo, getting feedback, and slowly iterating on that. I'd love to see that happen, and the only way it will is for us to have *some* level of access to these tools, even if it isn't full map/level editing. And Godot has a smaller developer community than Unity, but it is open source, and reading the code has been essential when implementing touchscreen accessibility and other advanced functionality.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Gaki_shonen via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : vlad25 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector