Re: Good idea for a lucrative side gig in programing!

I hate to give you a non-answer answer, but it really depends on the project. If you want to be a generalist, then Python, _javascript_/Node, maybe Ruby/Rails, maybe PHP, etc. are all reasonable choices with their niches. But sometimes choice of language is dictated by the project more than anything. So there isn't a specific language that will earn you lots of money.

As an example, my current project heavily relies on a specific library/technology with only C++ and Java interfaces. We went with Kotlin for that particular service because we both didn't particularly want to write a web service in C++. The frontend needs to be easily maintainable, highly concurrent, and able to easily pass messages and communicate with the Kotlin-based service. This could have been done in a number of languages, but we chose Elixir so we could lean on Erlang's lower-level primitives and technologies while still having an approachable codebase we could more easily hire for. Neither choice is a silver bullet, so please don't take this as a blanket endorsement of Kotlin or Elixir. I'm simply making the point that profitability doesn't arise from a specific language. It comes from the project, which may or may not indicate specific language choices. We also entertained Rust for a few tightly-scoped services that we wanted to be fast and relatively fail-proof, but we ultimately didn't create those particular microservices so Rust isn't yet in the stack.

Hope that helps. If you don't like this answer, then maybe focus on identifying what sorts of projects you want to create, and research what languages are ideal for those.