Re: unity and accessibility

@14
Though there might be something to be said for collaborating with sighted developers, I would maintain that just writing an engine aimed at blind game developers gets you the rest of this in a much more convenient package, and that the reason this is a problem is social: those of us with the skill to do that have too many constraints on our time, because it's basically impossible to both have that level of skill and not be an adult professional who doesn't have the time.  My personal theory as to the low level of quality of audiogames is simply that those who could do better discover that there's no money in it but there is money in programming professionally, and then go program professionally instead.

I've started to move toward blind audiogame unity (sort of--most of the plans are in my head, and it's much less GUI-centric), the first step of which is Synthizer, but there's no real ETA on that.

The other problem is that for i.e. something like Swamp, the levels of freedom sighted game developers have are too many degrees of freedom to make an easily comprehensible interface on, so trying to get one of the sighted engines to work in the sake of collaborations also limits the genres you can collaborate on to 2D things.  Try playing Audioquake and you'll see what I mean very quickly.

But perhaps you and others will eventually prove me wrong on Unity/etc, and there's some good ergonomic way to do this that reaches some level of efficiency at scale.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Kyleman123 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nyanchan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : rory-games via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : Jaidon Of the Caribbean via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : visualstudio via Audiogames-reflector