Re: Representing 3d Staircases? (Python)

This whole ordeal makes me want to open source the Halloween thing I was working on in 2018 that will probably never get done. The map system might or might not be difficult to learn, as it uses a 2d array of tiles, and each type of tile has the necessary information to define the stack of voxels at that 2d position. It's more complex than the JFIMA, but without the width limitation.
The catch is complexity limitations. I've only tested with a single map, though it theoretically supports linking to adjacent maps and referencing those for out-of-bounds collision checks. Limitations include being extremely difficult to move things (I made furniture part of the map, rather than objects, then decided it should be possible to move chairs around, and that is going to be a nightmare if I ever try to finish that aspect yikes).
Navigation-wise, the game uses a Swamp-style radar and zone system. I have no idea how well this would work in practice; odds are, even though it is extremely similar, with just a couple extra sounds, no one will understand it, because that's how it usually goes when I do that sort of thing. But that doesn't mean the principal wouldn't work, since Swamp demonstrates that it can.
Whether, in practice, this would turn out more like Swamp, or more like the JFIMA, I have no idea.
So far as data compression goes, I have a two-story building and the area immediately in front of and behind it, including a road, in something like 50×60 tiles, except that the road and part of the front are much smaller, because they cover entire rows, and the map class auto-completes rows that aren't as wide as the map with the last entry. It should do the same with the last row z-wise, but I don't think I implemented that. So in practice, there are well under 3000 tiles. The only bits that gave me any trouble on the design front were occasionally messing up the upper floor for a certain tile, usually furniture or bathroom tiles. It's also necessary !be careful with is doors (it'd be a bit odd if opening a door upstairs affected a door or wall downstairs, after all).

As regards the first question that started the topic, bugs with slopes were the worst. I think there might still be a spot where it's possible to glitch into the garden through the basement. Other than the bugs I mentioned earlier, there was something related to weird behavior on the edge of individual stairs, and I think there were others I don't remember so well atm. But other than that glitch which may or may not still be there, stairs worked smoothly enough the last time I tested.

However, the tile properties are managed by dictionaries. A pointer to objects, or a list of objects with int indeces, are probably more efficient, but doing it this way is much easier to work with when using a string array to edit the map. If you have a way of editing that plays better with indeces or pointers, one of those would probably be better.