Re: new newb with an ear on native musical things...

Adding new plugins to the browser involves 2 steps. The first is installing the plugin, like xpand or dexed, into a place where the komplete software can find it. By default it searches in 2 folders, c:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 32 bit\ and c:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit. So you can either put your plugins there, or add more paths to scan, which you'll either need to do with sighted help or I heard there's an autohotkey script to click on the right option. Myself I just took the easy way out and installed xpand and dexed into the previously mentioned folder.

The second step is getting the NKS presets and unzipping them into the right folder. The NKS presets for both xpand and dexed can be gotten from here. The downloads come with detailed instructions where to unzip them. Finally, run the komplete software again, which will cause it to scan for any new presets, and you should be good to go, your plugin should now appear in the user library in the browser.
\
For loading dexed cartridges, the freelance NKS pack for it comes with over a thousand presets and to my understanding the expansions are included. For patches that come as a .syx file, you're supposed to drag it into the dexed window which is going to be really hard to do. but I heard that, at least if you're using reaper, you can just insert the .syx file as an item onto the track where you have the plugin and play it which should load the patch because syx files are just a sequence of midi commands.