Re: how far have we really taken these rules on the forum!

Alright, I'll bite, as Jayde said elsewhere.  :d
@151, Thanks for that one.  I'll remember no rights reserved.  I wrote all rights rejected as I personally rejected and waved all my rights to my own writing and basically stated do as you will with it.  Still, that does make it sound like I'm saying reject rights to legal content, which is not what I'm saying.  I appreciate the correction but will leave it there to showcase, once again, just how other people can help me even as I help others.
@152, the same is true of just about any mainstream game.  Programs have been written to extract sound from many, particularly older titles, and some of those sounds have found their way onto youtube videos.  The fact is that anything assembled can be disassembled.  More to the point though, as I said in 150, there are paid products that already provide sounds very accessibly from within their folder structure, not encrypted or even with an ounce of thought toward the idea of hiding them.  To extract the sounds, as you say, the general consumer/gamer has to go out of their way to obtain something called the pack extractor, or code yet another product.  That is clearly an issue with the user and not the developer.
@153, thanks.  I'm doing my best to remain as unbiased as usual.  I can't do all the research on my own though; I have a wife and kids.  I'm sure there's more I can dig up on all the subject under discussion, but I can honestly say that for the time being I've done my best and given you all something to run with.  It'll be up to you guys to cary the ball from here on out.  Use it wisely and tread on legal waters for the sake of this community.
@154, here again, you have to take steps to get that done.  You have to make sure stereomix is enabled, something which does not happen on many machines by default nowadays.  You also have to make sure you set up audio recording software to record from stereomix.  Yes, these are easy matters, but they're still steps you have to take, much like recording music from a radio station from a cassette player in the 90's.  the quality is also not ensured, meaning that while you will end up with a copy of the track if you take said steps, your copy will not entirely match the track in question.
All that being said, I see what you're getting at here, but once again I freely confess I just can't fully stand behind it all given the overall gravity of the situation.  To fully excecute what you're suggesting you're going to have to put a ton, probably most of the database on the burner right now.  I feel like you're placing to much responsibility on yourself and the panel.  It's up to the users and the developers to figure out how to wisely use products and services.  This is why user licenses exist and why consumers should make themselves aware of what they're getting into when they go about tampering with said products and services when they use them.  Cautioning people and developers praticularly is one thing, but threatening to pull the plug on them and baby them and hold their hand does not teach them how to face consequences in the real world.  As soon as you find out CP is being pursued as an illegal product by companies wanting their royalties or some other such matter, then you can certainly pull the plug on the product and say "We tried to tell you."
For the time being, however, there are far too many games in question that have engaged in, at the very least, questionable practices over the years as I pointed out in 150.  The question before you that you should heavily be asking is, how far are you willing to go, and what for, precisely?  It's one thing to want to steer the website clear of legal issues, and I think you've done a commendable job.  On the other hand, what if it seriously means you have to get rid of a myriad of entries in the database because, A, developers are not around and will not change the way their games have been coded to meet up to a set of standards, B, some of the sounds have been miraculously proven to be illegally used even in paid products and or, C, there is some other legal issue we just haven't even considered, much as was the case with this issue we are trying to tackle at present, which was not an issue throughout the 10 years I've been out here?:  Should we then treat every single game as suspect from now on because it has sounds that sound all too familiar?  If that is the case, I think less people will be likely to download something because they'll always be afraid of getting into trouble for doing so, or you'll see way less entries in the database and less people willing to develop because the steps required to submit an entry will be much more stringent than they are at present.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Aron Leppik via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : an idiot via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jaseoffire via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : omer via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Jayde via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Nocturnus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : superb via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Site and forum feedback : Zarvox via Audiogames-reflector