Re: General fighting game banter

Yeah, guess its really just down to tastes. I see what they were trying to do though. In the first marvel vs game, we had a lot of that electric pop rock that is common in japanese modern pop. In marvel vs 2, I think this style was chosen to appeal to the western audience. If you listen to the soundtracks for final fight and streets of rage, it's easy to draw a parallel with what the devs of each were trying to do. I do think that musical experimentation like this is important in games. In the christian circle, we like to use the term evangelism for drawing people to the faith, and music is a powerful tool for that. In the same way, I feel that music is a powerful tool for evangelizing non- gamers into gaming or an entirely different crowd of gamers altogether, and that's partially where the soundtrack of marvel 2 or streets of rage might succeed, and that's why I feel like marvel 2's soundtrack is fitting.

For sure street fighter 3 had something similar going, though with a different style of music from mvc2. It more accurately captures that east coast underground style I was talking about earlier. Not my favorite soundtrack in the series I will always be partial to sf2, but I like what they were aiming for and felt like it fitted well. It was really ahead of its time especially third strike.