Using Slang is Homophobic now?

Recently, a thread came up about The Last of us 2 Accessibility announcement. You can go through and read all the posts if you want, but I’m only going to include the posts that have relevance to what I’m going to talk about.

Post 1: ianhamilton_ wrote:

See thread here, while it doesn't say 100% accessible it sounds mostly, covering both sound cues for gameplay and text to speech for menus
https://mobile.twitter.com/robkrekel/st … 3230508032
They also announced some nice stuff for low vision too

Post 19: NevEd wrote:

The last of woke 2? Nah, fam, I'm straight.

Post 24: stirlock wrote:

Post 19. Can we say ignorant?

Post 42: NevEd wrote:

@24 Can we say piss off?

Post 45: simba wrote:

Hi.
At 19 dude, the heck is wrong with you?

Post 52: NevEd wrote:

***SPOILER WARNING***
@45 If you're familiar with this game enough and have seen the leaks and the damage control Naughty Dog did to try and stop those leaks, as well as the horrid working conditions of their staff, you along with other guy I was replying to would understand what I'm talking about.
Basically the game is getting a ton of backlash for killing off a well liked character in the name of pandering to far leftist lunatics, which by itself justifies not purchasing it to any individual but I think working conditions over there justify it even more, personally.
So the person calling me ignorant, is ignorant himself, and I didn't tell anyone they shouldn't buy the game. Personally I think it's kind of funny that I see people here tempted to switch/buy a platform for a game that may or may not have accessibility features, and not to mention the quality of said features. Until someone actually demos it, shelling out hard earned cash for a console for any one game, but especially this game, is kind of stupid, sorry not sorry. And Sony's refund policy is hot garbage, so you can kiss your $60 goodbye, or whatever the sale price will be in the next week after release.. Same thing happened with battlefield V. EA said "don't like it, don't buy it" and people obliged, and then they damage controlled by saying it flopped because of lack of battle royale. Lol, yup, definitely.
Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeqKwePz_Gk

Post 54: stirlock wrote:

Thats... not the reason I called you ignorant. I called you ignorant for blatent homophobic comments. Let's keep talk about the controversy out of this topic. This is about accessibility. If you want to talk about the potential shortcomings of naughty dog, start a new topic? Also no spoilers please.

Post 55: NevEd wrote:

@54
This fucking guy.
When I said straight, I was not referring to a sexual orientation, you stupid fucking jackass. Maybe if you weren't so focused on being a goddamn hero, you wouldn't show your ass like this.
Straight is slang for being alright. Straight, as in not crooked.
Jesus fuck, go take a hike, man.
Your line of thinking is so profoundly stupid that it took seconds for it to dawn on me, so congratulations?
No one on here, least of all me has any problems whatsoever with gay people. If someone saying the word straight automatically makes you think that, you've got some serious issues. I'd pay attention to the guys actually spraying direct vitrial about gay people because you don't know a damn thing about me and I am not going to let some SJW nutjob put words in my mouth.
"blatant" homofobia.
**BLATANT**
Fuck off, dude.
Also, I literally just said that I wasn't interested in buying the game. You said I was ignorant. But due to the fact that I don't feel the need to apologise for shit that I didn't do, your reason for calling me ignorant was lost on me, so I explained myself. Can't get mad at me for that.

Post 57: KenshiraTheTrinity wrote:

55 cool it. I dont think anyone else excited about the game would appreciate spoilers either. And it is easy to define straight without losing your head over it. Please dont derail the topic by bringing in all the controversy to quell the excitement that people genuinely have for the game.

Post 58: NevEd wrote:

@57 Again, if people want to buy the game, I don't care. If I have to constantly worry about hurting someone's feelings by discussing what actually happened, because no one is strong enough to form their own opinion, then I might as well not say anything at all. Also, I'm not even a fan of the series like that, but I at the very least know that little bit that I disclosed.
As far as I'm concerned Assault Freak has a perfectly logical reason for buying the game. He wants to test the accessibility features. Maybe they'll be good and lead to them being in other games. I'd be interested to see what he has to say about them.
But to avoid people trying to paint me as some party pooper asshole piece of shit just for not appreciating being called ignorant and explaining myself, and definitely not appreciating being implicated for "blatant homofobia" (soooooo blatant!!!!! Waaaaaaaa), I'll put a spoiler warning at the beginning of my post. There, everyone will be happy. Or maybe not? Such is life.

Post 59: KenshiraTheTrinity wrote:

No I agree that jumping to conclusions and attacking people over it is also wrong. Straight is a perfectly normal slang term primarily used in the hip hop community as defined by 55, but someone wouldn't know this if they didnt spend a considerable time in the culture. Point, ask questions before jumping to conclusions. For the record I'm straight and dont have a problem with gays or whatever.

Post 60: NevEd wrote:

Well @59 The reason why I was kind of jumpy on him was because he didn't directly say to me that it was ignorant he said "can we say ignorant?" Implying that he was resting on his laurels, definitely not asking questions, and inviting other people to attack me, which I definitely don't appreciate. Admittedly petty, and no one else really crawled up my ass, but what also did it for me was him expecting me to somehow understand why he called me ignorant.
Straight doesn't inherently mean heterosexual either. Straight is a word that defines a line, having no turns.
he seems like the type of person to get offended if someone were to say "straight and narrow." Homofobic!!! Get the pitchforks!!!!
In this day and age, given how emotional people are, and how damning just accusations can be, I definitely don't appreciate being implicated for hatred towards gay people.

Post 61: stirlock wrote:

Holy fuck you are dumb. Get the fuck out of here with your toxic ass bullshit dude.

Post 75: Jayde wrote:

Moderation:
NevEd, I'm dropping a warning for personal attacks. Your earlier post in this thread, the one that started controversy, was definitely iffy, but not enough on its own. But when you started attacking left and right...seriously, all the swearing kind of gave you away. If you can't tear someone's arguments or statements down without insulting them, that's a problem. Your problem. Please adjust accordingly.
Stirlock, I'm issuing a warning to you as well. Please do not incite further drama with NevEd. There was no need to call him dumb that way; that's definitely personal attack territory. As it happens, I generally agree with the point you were making, but that's not an excuse, and doesn't entitle you to attack back.
I do not want to see this topic devolve.
One thing I do want to point out, however. This whole "I wasn't being homophobic" thing:
Well, first, NevEd, you mention wokeness in the same message that you mention being straight. Then, later on, you refer to the idea of "pandering to leftist lunatics". Then you try and claim that your mentioning straightness had nothing to do with sexual orientation? Sorry, bro, but that's bullshit. You're hung out to dry on this one. Usually, when you fuck up, it's better to just own it and/or apologize, but you're not big on that because you think people are snowflakes who can't handle "the truth". Here's a little truth of your own. One of these days, that sort of backhanded homophobia is going to get you in bigger trouble than this.
End moderation
On a gaming note, I'm not particularly interested in this one, as a game, but given how excited this has gotten everyone I'll definitely keep my eye on it. I don't see myself running out and getting a PS4 for it, but it might provide for some LP fun.
Post has been updated since its original version, where I had Stirlock receive only a caution. Thank you to Exodus for pointing out my mistake.

Post 80: NevEd wrote:

So the idea is, if you're not one extreme, you're definitely the other? That makes sense. Also, people use the word "woke" seriously, apparently.
It's pretty obvious that people would rather not have these topics turn into a shitfest so overall I have no more to say about this. But it's telling how an informal admittedly sarcastic opinion from one person and rile another individual up. Don't put context of words in other people's mouths and they won't slam you.

Post 83: simba wrote:

Hi.
At 80 if you don't mind than please go and take your controversial topics and views with you, if you want to discuss these things further, do please have the decency to create a topic where the matter of discussing those things is the mainpoint, unlike this one where we do would like to continue talking about the game mensioned in the threat title.

Post 91: NevEd wrote:

@83 Fair enough. I never really intended it to blow up like this but i didn't really understand what was making me ignorant until it was pointed out, and the reason itself annoyed me because not only was it ridiculous but I have been through similar situations several times before, but that's besides the point.
Apologies to those who had to read through all that, I got away from myself and broke one of my main rules by injecting drama where it wasn't due. I could've gotten my points across with far less words and far less anger. I take pride in not being hypocritical and I'd be double hypocrite if I didn't admit fault here.

Oh boy, where do I begin? First of all, there were so many misspelled words in so many of your posts that I probably couldn’t count them on 2 hands. Proof reading works wonders; just saying. Second, I am not going to personally attack anyone, because that is not the goal of this post. I am, however, going to be blunt with my thoughts.
Jayde, since you actually posted a reason why you didn’t like NevEd’s post, I shall address you first. I’m sorry if this upsets you, but I think your argument was the flimsiest, most ridiculous argument I’ve ever heard from you, and quite frankly the most ridiculous argument I’ve heard from any human being on this entire planet in my life. After you, Simba, Stirlock, and anyone who thinks the same as you 3 get done reading this post, you should spend a day with a teenager or pretty much anyone in their early 20s. I had a girlfriend in her early 20s, and she has a sibling in their teenaged years. Both of them use the word straight as a slang term, and for that matter a lot of kids do. Don’t get me wrong; I think the warning was justified because he did kind of attack stirlock, but the fact that you called out NevEd for using the word straight is just silly, and it makes you look like the kind of person who’d get offended over anything a person says. I’m straight. That’s not a jab at anyone, it’s just a fact. I am a straight white male. For saying that, am I going to get called out for being homophobic, simply because I stated that I’m not gay? I need to straighten out my computer table at some point, because it’s facing the wall at an angle. Woops, I said straight, I suppose I’m in trouble now? Before you even think of saying it counts because he used woke and straight in the same sentence, no it doesn’t. Notice that he used fam before he said straight, which is also a slang term. He meant, “Na, I’m good”. It had absolutely 0 relation to the word woke, as woke was used in the previous sentence, and him talking about leftist lunatics was an entirely different post altogether. You’re just looking for ammunition to use against him. Then again, I don’t know what’s worse. I didn’t like what you said about NevEd, but at least you gave a reason for why you disagreed with him, as opposed to either Stirlock who cursed him out, or Simba who changed the subject. Both of them probably acted the way they did because they knew they couldn’t come up with a valid argument, so they tried to shield themselves. Then again Jayde, you didn’t really have a valid argument either, but at least you tried. A for effort, I guess?
Before anyone calls me out for targeting Jayde because he’s Jayde, that’s not true. As you may have noticed, I called out Stirlock and Simba too, because they’re just as much in the wrong if not more so than Jayde because of the childish way they acted. For context, Simba acted like that kid who runs up, punches someone, then hides in the corner and pretends they didn’t do anything. Stirlock acted like the kid who runs up, punches someone, punches them again harder than they did before, then runs away. Case in point, I’m calling out Jayde as if he were one of our fellow users doing the same thing he did, not as a moderator. Then again, I suppose Jayde wouldn’t have even gotten involved if NevEd hadn’t have cursed out Stirlock like that, so I guess it could be argued that he was holding out a sign that says “PUNCH ME!”, but this is debatable, and honestly while I don’t agree with him getting angry like that, I share his sentiment on the word straight.
Long rant over.