Re: urgent warning

Moderation:
Okay, I think I can wrap this all up in a very neat little package. I didn't want to do it this way, but clearly something has to be done. Here are the facts:
1. Rory-games wanted to be banned, and actually contacted me the other day to mention a ban time of six months.
2. Rory cited internet addiction as his reason for needing a ban.
3. Suddenly there are alligations that Rory is about to be hacked, but the alligations come with no proof, and apparently Rory doesn't think he can get away from it.
4. If the alligations are actually true, seemingly unlikely though that might be, the easiest way to shut down any further damage is to ban the offending account, as per Rory's request in the first place.

As such, I am immediately placing Rory into a six-month voluntary ban. If anyone has actually taken control of this account who otherwise shouldn't have access, they will be unable to influence the forum via this particular vector.

The staff team reserves the right to process this situation further if it is merited. If it turns out that this was, in fact, a lie, punishment may be required, since this would constitute character assassination...and accusing people of hacking you when they haven't done so is a pretty serious charge. As such, this ban may become a punishment if enough evidence comes to light demonstrating that this was, as some people suspect, a ploy for attention. I'll keep my own personal beliefs out of this, except to say that this story looks incredibly flimsy, and I'm not disposed to believe it at face value.
Should no such evidence surface, we'll see Rory again in six months. Please remember that while Rory is not being punished at this time, he must not access this forum again. If you are caught helping Rory pass messages, access accounts or in any way circumvent this ban, you will be implicated as if you were aiding a punished forum member, and Rory will find his ban torun punitive. This is not a game or a joke.

I'm also locking this thread, as it serves no other purpose. If you truly are frightened about getting hacked, please read Canlorn's post in this thread for good advice on how to avoid typical pitfalls. Don't make silly and unsafe choices. I have been on the internet more or less steadily for twenty years, and have never once been hacked. I bet most other users can say the same thing.