help with traitor mission in Sequence Storm?

Hi everyone,
I just got back into Sequence Storm again and am having quite a bit of trouble with the Traitor mission. I think it's fairly close to the end of the game. The goal is to finish in first place, with the bonus objective being to release all holds at the proper time.

The issue is that I can't catch the bot no matter what I do. I currently have 8 stat points at present, and I can put up to 5 stat points in one attribute. I tried top speed at 5 and acceleration at 3, I've tried acceleration at 3 and top speed at 5. I've tried maxing out the powerful boosts item, as well as the hyper drift extend item. I've tried boosting on straight sections of the track, and using hyper drift during busy sections. And even with close to 95 percent accuracy on the track, I can't catch the bot no matter what. I never even hear it.

The only thing I can think of now is try with some stat points put into cornering, but I really haven't touched that to be honest, since I don't quite know what it does or how much it actually helps. That aside, I'm starting to think, either I'm missing something really bad and somehow have managed to proceed without knowing forever, or it's an actual bug.

Any tips? thanks!