Re: what do you think is the easiest instriment?

To be fair, I think it's a mistake to always be talking about stuff like "true art". Maybe somebody just wants to play music to meditate or relieve stress. Any instrument can do "true art", but that having been said, there are probably easier and harder instruments to get to grip with. Sticking with the flute family, a Native American flute will be easier than a recorder, because the scale's simpler and the notes fit together more.

Both will be easier than a classical or other transverse flute because with both, there's a mechanism to make sure your air gets to the right place. With a classical or other transverse flute, you're just blowing across a hole, and your mouth has to do things to make sure the air gets to the place to make the sound, and there are a lot more wrong things than right things for you to do. So making it work is just harder.

I've actually constructed a whole hierarchy of flutes based on playability. Yes, there are even more difficult flutes. Something like ukulele is going to be easier than guitar, because there are just less finger gymnastics generally, fewer strings to keep track of, and nylon/nylgut strings are going to be easier for things like bar chords. Even if bot the ukulele and guitar in question have nylon/nylgut strings, the ukulele will be easier because there are fewer strings and they generally have less tension. Getting back to flutes, some sort of simple system flute, i.e. just holes like most recorders and without a bunch of keys like a classical flute, is going to be easier than a ukulele, for several reasons.

For the most part, simple system flutes don't need tuning, you've got four strings to tune on a ukulele, and there are other potential issues, like intonation, on the ukulele. Add to this that simple system flutes are strictly melodic instruments. Obviously there is a lot of complexity that can go into melody, but for some people, a single melodic line is more straightforward, easier to understand, than chords. On the other hand, if you've got somebody with respiratory issues, a ukulele might be better for them. Maybe not, a wind instrument might be able to help them improve, but you see the kinds of things I'm driving at.

On the one hand I agree, even if you're playing a three note tune, I think you should be striving for art, you should be trying to play that three note tune as best as you can, and figuring out how to make it better, especially if you're just starting out. I'm just saying, I don't think music has to be this thing where you can only do "true art" and that's it. If playing a three note tune before bed really helps you chill out and you want to do that for a year and a half before doing anything else, I say you go for it and don't let anybody tell you anything different. But then, maybe I'm weird. I listen to lots of drone stuff and obscure folk music, like this Estonian song. It's not three notes, though I do know a three note Estonian song, but it's not much more, maybe five, six if it's lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW0X5AlqAXU

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : TheEvilChocolateCookie via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : titan_of_war via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mahedee via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : LordLuceus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : khomus via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : moaddye via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : NevEd via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : moaddye via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : KenshiraTheTrinity via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : st . mc via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Tissman via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : LordLuceus via Audiogames-reflector