Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Kjsisco, that's fair enough, I suppose. Bear in mind, though, that in small villages, bat bites happen, and related coronaviruses are found far more in bats than anything else. Hell, people in certain parts of China where these horseshoe bats are common even have coronavirus antibodies in their blood, which suggests that periodic infection is not uncommon.
By contrast, the investigation I'm seeing now doesn't give this chicken theory any airtime. Yes, Chinese folk sometimes sleep close to poultry, but said poultry does not appear to be a serious disease vector in this case. If there is a study linking these two things causally, I have yet to find it.

At this point, after the research I did last night, I suspect the most likely genesis for this outbreak is that someone was bitten by an infected bat, and the disease mutated into one of the forms it has now. I can't take the chicken thing completely off the table, but I don't think it's likely. Someone would've grabbed onto it by now, because let's be real about it. There are literally thousands of experts across the globe studying this, and today is literally the first time I have heard the chicken theory. That suggests one of two things. Either it's not a serious theory and was never considered, or discarded, or it's a massive, worldwide cover-up because nobody wants to admit the truth. I...tend to stay away from such conspiratorial leanings without very good reason, so if you're dead set on chickens being the source, we're going to have to agree to disagree here.